Home and Contents Insurance - SureInsure

Home and Contents Insurance

One of the first things you should think about when considering protection policies is Home and Contents Insurance. You can get insurance for your first tiny rental all the way up to luxury waterside homes. The most important thing about Home and Contents is that it provides cover for your building, fixtures and fittings. That means all the inside and outside structural elements of your home, should they become damaged in any way. It also covers any belongings, personal effects and household contents that you choose to include. If you need to, we can often cover items stored in garages, or even things left in your car when you’re on the road.

Home and Contents policies provide cover for costs associated with re-building or repairing damage. That means you can cover the cost of hiring trades to fix problems. You can also choose to add specific cover if your home is at risk from fire, flood or other dangerous weather conditions. You should always wait until your claim is confirmed before replacing anything non-urgent, but there are things you can get moving with before then.

When something happens to your home that makes it unliveable, phone us immediately. That way we can give you the best advice possible before you take action. The most important thing to do when you need to make a claim but need to fix things NOW is to take photos of the damage and get witnesses.

Getting back to normal

In fact, the most important thing you can do to make sure everything goes back to normal after a domestic disaster is to take photos now. When you take photos, we can make sure that everything is put back just the way you like it.

Don’t forget the things INSIDE your home too. As a result of damage to the outside of your home, things inside will probably also have been damaged.

How much stuff and how much cover?

Do you know how much it would cost to replace everything in your home if the worst were to happen? One of the easiest things you can do is to go around your house with a calculator. Add up everything you might need to replace on a Home and Contents Insurance policy claim. Here’s a useful online link in case you don’t have a calculator to hand. It can be surprising just how much you’ve spent on things over your lifetime.

Don’t forget the things you don’t think twice about. Everyone thinks about things like the television or your laptop, but a lot of disruption can be caused by something like your washing machine suddenly breaking down. If there’s a hole in your roof, you might find that there’s suddenly soggy mattresses that need to be replaced or toys that will never be the same again.

What happens when something can't be replaced?

Things are often handed down through the generations and have great emotional value. Maybe you have bespoke pieces of art or furniture that have been created just for you. It’s very sad to imagine something irreplaceable being damaged, but it is still best to be prepared. At Sure Insure we can put you in touch with experts that can provide you with a realistic estimate of the value of your item. That way, even if you lose something you love, you’ll be able to think about a suitable replacement.

Some of our Home and Contents Insurance Specialists